Application Examples of Stainless Steel
There is no doubt that stainless steel is an essential material for a wide array of industrial applications. It is known for its immense strength, corrosion resistance, longevity, ductility, and acid resistance. This is why stainless steel is the first choice for industries when it comes to using steel in an application.
Stainless Steel Industrial Applications
Here, we shall take a look at some of the industrial applications in which stainless steel is widely used.
- Aerospace: Stainless steel is the perfect metal for fabricating aerospace components. It has the capability of maintaining its mechanical properties even in extremely harsh environments and temperatures.It is resistant to corrosion and high temperature oxidation. These features make stainless the perfect metal for manufacturing components such as:
- High Temperature Engines
- Retaining Rings and Springs
- Exhaust Components
- Landing Gear
- Marine Ship Building: One of the greatest advantages of stainless steel is its formability. The marine and ship building industry utilizes components in various sizes, shapes, lengths and specifications. Steel is used for constructing various crucial parts of marine vessels as it is easy to cut, bend, fold, and shape. A few examples of stainless steel marine components are:
- Food Service: Stainless steel provides a number of benefits to food service applications in terms of transport, preparation, and presentation:
- It does not affect the taste of food
- It can be easily cleaned and sterilized
- Stainless steel parts last longer
Various steel grades are used to produce components such as containers, conveyor systems, and transfer trolleys, cooking stands, kiosks and even metallic scrubbers.
- Nuclear: This industry requires high grade stainless steel that can resist the strongest chemicals and protect employees from harmful radiation. Also, steel is a key component when it comes to nuclear plant development or upgradation. The nuclear industry utilizes stainless steel create a variety of equipment including:
- Reactor Components
- Cooling Pipes
- Heat Exchangers
- Wastewater Tanks
- Automotive: The automotive industry is perhaps one of the most popular industries associated with stainless steel. Various grades of steel are used to manufacture components of different shapes and sizes.The steel provides benefits of formability, heat resistance, safety, and efficiency. A few examples of stainless steel automotive products are:
- Exhaust System
- Wheel Rims
As one can see, the strength, versatility, and efficiency of stainless steel makes it a popular material for component building in various industries.