Importance of Surface Finishing Stainless Steel
The use of stainless steel is increasing across several industries due to its strength, formability, durability, and corrosion resistance properties. It is the widely chosen raw material in the manufacturing of appliances, food processing equipment, material handling machinery, aerospace, military devices, and defense systems, just to name a few. However, finding reliable stainless steel distributors can sometime be a challenge.
At Alliant Metals, we have the in-house stock, expertise, and years of experience to meet all of your industries needs. Here’s a more in-depth look at the world of stainless steel finishing that some of the novice may not fully understand.
How Can the Performance and Shelf Life of Stainless Steel be improved?
Before using in applications, stainless steel is coated with suitable surface finishes. This is done to achieve the following:
- To withstand the hostile environmental conditions, including dust, hydrocarbon solutions, harsh chemicals, and solvents.
- To enhance corrosion, impact, abrasion, and scratch resistance.
- To attain a smooth polished appearance. This is imperative when using stainless steel as the raw material for manufacturing, medical, and lab apparatuses.
- To enhance the cleanliness of the metal surface. This is essential when using the metal in the assembly of equipment/systems in food processing organizations. Stainless steel that is polished with suitable finishes is easier to clean than unpolished surfaces
- To improve the cosmetic and aesthetic appeal of metal. Stainless steel with an excellent aesthetic look is essential in the manufacturing of beer kegs, furniture, and stairways.
- To improve mechanical properties, making them perfect for applications in aggressive environments.
Choose the Appropriate Stainless Steel Surface Finish
Now that you understand the importance of applying surface finish to achieve several benefits, you need to have a clear understanding of the different types of surface finishes that are popular in the market. Amongst the several finishes that are tried and tested, the ones listed below are the most effective and durable.
- 2B Mill Finish – Provides a smooth, bright, and reflective finish. Ideal for finishing stainless steel used in the fabrication of:
- Air Heaters
- Gas Turbines
- Heat Exchangers
- Refinery Equipment
- #4 Satin Finish – Provides a bright finish. Ideal for applications where hygiene is a prime concern. Applications involve:
- Pharmaceutical Equipment
- Dental Devices
- Medical Apparatuses
- Lab Machineries
- Scientific Apparatuses
- #8 Mirror Finish – Provides-mirror like reflectivity. Perfect for finishing stainless steel used in the manufacture of:
- Dairy Tanks
- Surgical Instruments
- Brewery Equipment
- Restaurant Utensils
Find the Right Polishing Service Provider
To achieve the desired benefits, metal polishing must be done by following the right procedures. Only the service provider with hands-on experience can do this by maintaining a high level of quality. Partnering with such a reliable metal polishing service provider brings you several advantages. These include:
- They can suggest the right type of finish after analyzing your application environment.
- They can provide exceptional service on time.
For reliable service from stainless steel distributors that you can trust, contact the team at Alliant Metals. With over 30 years of industry experience, we’re here to assist with all of your needs (800) 543-1453.